Sunday, August 26, 2012

An Apology: Weightlifting

First off, I would like to apologize to all the weightlifters out there (which now includes me).  I'm sorry. For years, I shunned the gym. I proclaimed that meat heads had some sort of identity or self esteem issue. I was wrong. I was the one who had the issue. I didn't care enough about my self or my own identity that I choose to live a life of laziness. I was never a fat, but I was weak. I though I was strong. I had a physical job that demanded muscle, and I raced motocross.  I felt that I was in good shape.  Now, I can move more weight that I ever though possible, and I workout out with some of the people who have the same job I once had, and I'm much stronger.  I've noticed that the determination I have with weight lifting and growing muscle, has increased my determination in other areas of life as well. I now want to be the best in the classroom.  Failure is not an option.  I shunned the gym because I felt that it was easy.  Once I experienced the weights, my natural taste for competition kicked in. I learned that I could always challenge myself every single day.  If I failed it was my fault alone.  I never knew it would be so difficult to make the body grow. There is more science in bodybuilding than most people will ever know.  It's much more than simply laying on a bench and pushing weight off of your chest (though I much prefer pushing it over my head...that's a man lift).

I do not claim to be an expert at anything.  But I can say that I learn from observation and practice.  I paid attention to the greats, and I myself try to be great.  I also try to inspire others in to get into the gym and do the same.  You don't have to push as hard as I do.  You would have to be sick in the head  (did I mention I joined the Marine Corps, and raced motocross)?  But challenge yourself to be better. Better tomorrow than what you are today. Take Arnold's advice, and now mine, and give 15 minutes of your day to a healthier life.  It will save you years down the road.

Keep Lifting

HK

1 comment: